Friday, September 10, 2010

Veggie Yakibuta Ramen

Veggie Yakibuta Ramen (Roasted Pork and Noodles)


Veggie Naruto Maki
I have always wanted to try Ramen but I never got the chance to. And as my vegetarianism progressed, that chance seemed even thinner than ever since the broth of Japanese Ramen is made from fish or pork bones. Lately, I've been watching a Youtube channel called 'Cooking with Dog' where you can learn how to make Japanese dishes in a light, simple and delicious manner. So on this channel I see a recipe for ramen which got me really excited. So I made a 'huge' decision- I was going to make vegetarian ramen. I got even more stoked when I was at my Vegetarian Warehouse and I found the vegetarian version of  'naruto maki' which is a processed fish roll that you slice and add to ramen (except the veggie ones were already sliced). I also came across vegetarian pork fillet at the supermarket. So my experience began.
Ball of Noodle Dough

 Since fresh ramen noodles are hard for me to find, I decided to make my own. I searched up a recipe for ramen noodles that seemed decent and decided to try it.
I would cut the the dough smaller next time though, since the dough expanded a bit when boiled. Recipe found here.





Ramen Soup

1 pot water

1 tbsp salt
1 yellow onion, roasted
1 cabbage cut in half
1 piece of kelp

¼ cup Kikkoman soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp soybean paste
2 tsp vegetable granules or more to taste
2 tsp grounded black pepper

In a large pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Add in onion, cabbage and kelp and simmer for 30 minutes or until onion and cabbage are tender when pierced with a chopstick.
Add in remaining ingredients and stir, simmering on medium heat until serving.

Toppings
Blanched spinach
Fermented radish: sliced thinly
Sliced pickled ginger
Sliced green onion
Nori square
Naruto Maki
*Pork Slices: Rub some ginger onto half the protein and pan fry half of veggie pork fillet in a sauce pan. Slice into ¼ thin slices.
Vegetarian pork fillet
Soft boiled Eggs: boil eggs for 4 minutes and peel. Marinate in 1 cup cup soy sauce, 2 tbsp mirin, 1 tsp whiskey or sake for 4 hours or overnight.  Slice in half with a string or thread.

Assembley
In a bowl, ladle with soup, add in cooked noodles and top with whatever toppings you want. Dash with some pepper and enjoy!!

*if you don't have or can't find pork slices, you can slice up firm tofu, brush with soy sauce and sugar, then pan fry the slices until golden brown. 


1 comment: