Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pixel Cookies: Link from Zelda


I like to challenge myself. And when I do, I challenge myself to the extreme. I have come across "pixel" cookies a long time ago but I never got around to actually trying it out. "Pixel" cookies are basically shortbread cookie dough, cut/pressed into strips and are painstakingly put together into a log or rectangle which is then sliced into cookies to form an image of a pix-elated picture. I finally got my patience and confidence up after watching a video my brother showed me. So after trying to find an image or character, with intense research (by intense I mean sitting in my bed and typing in "pixel cookies" or "pixel characters" on Google lol), I came across a Link pixel cookie. I have always enjoyed making Zelda themed items (birthday cards, crafts and the such), so I made a decision on Link. But I wanted it to be different and I guess, unique (as can be), thus I came across a pixel Link painting on deviantArt and decided to use that as my reference.
Something you should know about me, is that I HATE math. I am absolutely HORRIBLE at it. Thus, I have never done so much "math" in my life, especially with a cookie. I needed to know how many "pixels" were in the image, plus figure out how many colors I needed and how much of each color; and what size I wanted the entire cookie to be was important also. It seemed like forever but I managed to somewhat figure it all out.
The cookie probably took me 12+ hours all together to assemble, minus baking time and chilling time (30 mins). The cookies were around 3 inches x 3.5 inches and are FLAVORED! Pandan (green) and coco-vanilla (white) flavored. Why? Cause I'm a cool Asian.
The recipe for the shortbread is somewhat "my" recipe. For a simpler and still delish recipe, the recipe that my friend and I used for our shark cookies is awesome too.

If you don't have the time or the patience to make these, you can purchase a made-to-order dozen here at my cookie shop.
(If you mention that you came across my blog, I'll give you a bakers' dozen.)

Buttery Shortbread Cookies

For 3 dozen:

2 cups flour
1 cup Corn Starch
1 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, corn starch and icing sugar. Blend in softened butter with a wooden spoon then knead with hands until a soft, smooth dough forms. Divide dough into desired portions and work in desired colors.
2.Do whatever your heart desires.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are just starting to turn brown. Cool 10 mins on sheets then remove onto a rack and cool completely.

The log-rectangle thing!...before cutting

Ready to bake!!
BAKED!!

23 comments:

  1. this is so fucking uber fantastic!!!!!!!

    WANT!!!!


    OM NOM NOM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bf just begged me to buy some haha. You should consider selling them! Like on etsy. They have a ton of shops that sell baked good. This could be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The Masked Rabbit Crafts

    Haha thanks! I would consider selling them but the labor time may make it too costy for cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so going to try this method!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!!!!!!!!! I am going to try and make these for my Zelda freak boyfriend ♡ How did you work the different colors in, and how did you use the Pandan? Ah!! I am really excited for this, thank you once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Beth
    Hey, no problem, I love to cook and share. I divided that dough into batches and separately mixed/kneaded in the food coloring.
    For all the green parts, I used Pandan. I have this green pandan aroma paste thing that I used. It's green in color so I didn't need to use extra food coloring for the light green.
    It would be wise to double the recipe just in case you run out of a certain color. I ran out of the surrounding white so I had to make another batch. Just a tip!!
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
    Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If my strips fall apart when I attempt to separate them after cutting, do I need to add more flour, or butter to my dough?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Beth
    I would recommend chilling the dough after slicing for 15-20 minutes before assembling. And also, make sure the strips are not too thin. For me, it wasn't such a big deal if my strips broke in half because I could still rejoin the other half in the process. But if the dough is warm and the environment you are working in is very warm, then the butter in the dough will start to soften, thus making the dough fragile. Adding more flour will not give the cookie a nice melt-in-your-mouth texture and adding more butter may make the dough way too soft to be workable.
    I hope that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how did you get all of the color into the log? I mean so that when you cut them into the squares the picture was there and they were ready to bake?
    :D this was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ilyiPod789
    I had hundreds of different strips of colors that I put together according to my reference photo. It's a very time consuming task.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute. I tried to make some myself but i ran out of dough even though I dubbled the recipe. And then I only had 87 smaller logs when I nedded 460. I think my smal logs were too big. How did you make your smal logs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strips I cut were very very small, possibly 1/3" inch and lengthwise was around 11-12 inches. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  12. disculpa, como pusiste la imagen?
    no entendi muy bien el proceso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, la autora enlaza con un video que enseƱa el proceso con otra imagen:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqMXtNX3KrI

      Delete
  13. why does the green look like fondant? I want to try & make them :''D & how do u make the square shaped string?

    ReplyDelete
  14. you should seriously do a youtube channel with your cooking im sure many people would watch it :) and id love to see the these made cause they look like a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete